Dr. Sabrina Chiarella
Dr. Chiarella is an engaging and empathic tri-lingual psychologist whose career expertise and specialized training has focused on working with preschool children (ages 6 and under). Specifically, Dr. Chiarella uses a modified Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) approach with children and families; that is, children and parents are taught CBT strategies one would use on an older population of children and adolescents, but explicitly adapted for preschoolers and younger children. This specific therapeutic approach is skill-based, meaning young children and their parents are learning tangible strategies in order to address the presenting issues. Given the nature of the work, parents are present with their child during each and every therapeutic session.
- Behavioural Issues/Behavioural Management
- Emotion Regulation Difficulties
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Parent-Child Relational Issues
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders (e.g., Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Intellectual Disabilities, Specific Learning Disorder)
- Canadian Psychological Association
- Registered Clinical Psychologist – College of Psychologists of Ontario (CPO)
- Registered Clinical Psychologist – Ordre des Psychologues du Québec/College of Psychologists of Québec (OPQ)
Adjunct Clinical Faculty, Clinical Psychology Graduate Program, University of Western Ontario
- Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology, Huron University College
- Child and Adolescent Track Coordinator – London Clinical Psychology Residency Consortium
- Doctor of Philosophy, Clinical Psychology – Concordia University
- Master of Arts, Clinical Psychology – Concordia University
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours), Psychology – Concordia University
Dr. Chiarella completed her M.A. and Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology at Concordia University in Montréal, Québec. Her research was within the area of developmental psychology, examining prosocial behaviours, empathy, emotional understanding and selective trust in infants and toddlers. She completed her pre-doctoral residency training with the London Clinical Psychology Resident Consortium, where she worked at the Child and Parent Resource Institute (CPRI), Victoria/Children’s Hospital and University Hospital. She has additional training at the Montreal Children’s Hospital (Montréal), The Jewish General Hospital (Montréal), as well as regional community settings within the Greater Montreal Area. Dr. Chiarella also works as a clinical psychologist within the Community Services Team at Vanier Children’s Mental Wellness in London, Ontario.
Her experience has allowed for extensive training working with children and adolescents. She has proficiencies in cognitive-behavioural therapy, as well as a variety of additional evidence-based intervention techniques, including collaborative problem solving, dialectic behavioural therapy, behaviour management training, an integrative methods.
Currently, Dr. Chiarella’s clinical work focuses on preschoolers (ages 6 and under) and their families using modified CBT approaches, as well as behaviour management training. Dr. Chiarella continues to train doctoral-level clinical psychology students, as well as continues to teach and lecture. Dr. Chiarella is also able to provide therapeutic services in French and in Italian.