Our standard rate/fee is $200.00 per session (50 minutes). The Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) does not cover treatment with private psychologists. However, there are a number of ways to have your treatment costs reimbursed. You can find out more details on our Fees page.
If you and your psychologist agree to work together, then therapy can begin. The direction of treatment will largely depend upon the difficulties you are having. In therapy we will focus on how you think (cognitions) and what you do (behaviours). Although therapy sessions are far less structured than the assessment phase, sessions may feel somewhat structured in that each one will attempt to address the following:
- Review of homework (e.g. questionnaires, monitoring forms, behavioural exposures etc.)
- Check-in to see if any major new developments have occurred (e.g. significant stressors, or major changes)
- General discussion of the issues on which you have been working on
- Introduction of new material/strategies
- Plan of action (collaborative discussion of homework for the week)
Therapy always starts with an assessment. This may last between 1-3 sessions. We need to have a clear understanding of what your difficulties are before we can make any treatment recommendations. The goals of the assessment, from the point of view of the psychologist, are to:
- Discuss confidentiality
- Gather relevant background information (e.g. family of origin, past history of difficulties)
- Hear a description of the difficulties in your own words (especially important if you have been referred by a doctor or family member)
- Determine if your presenting difficulties fit within the psychologist’s scope of practice (if not, a referral will be made to another clinician or clinic)
- Set some preliminary treatment goals
- Explain CBT and how it applies to your specific difficulties
- Answer any concerns you have about the therapy process
The assessment phase is a little more structured than subsequent therapy sessions. It is the psychologist’s role to guide you through it, so you do not need to worry about what to say.
The answer depends on a number of variables: the nature of the problem, financial limitations, your availability, your own preferences about the pace of the work, and your therapy goals. Using these variables, we can tailor a CBT program specific to your needs. Typically we see individuals anywhere from 4 to 20 sessions. The standard length of a session is 45-50 minutes long. We usually refer to the appointment as an hour, with the final 10-15 mins used for the psychologist to write his or her notes and copy materials that will be useful for subsequent sessions.
Psychologists and psychological associates are trained in the assessment, treatment and prevention of behavioural and mental conditions. They are trained to accurately assess problems and diagnose disorders, and they use a variety of approaches directed toward the maintenance and enhancement of physical, intellectual, emotional, social and interpersonal functioning. Psychologists and psychological associates are registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario, a regulatory body that ensures high ethical standards and practice.
You do not need a referral to make an appointment with us. If you are planning on using your extended health benefits plan, you may wish to check with your insurance company as sometimes they require that you be referred.
Psychologists and psychological associates registered in the province of Ontario are not permitted to prescribe medication. We are aware that some individuals may benefit from medication in addition to therapy. Medication advice can be sought through a family doctor, walk-in clinic, or a psychiatrist.
Once you have made contact with us, you will have a brief confidential conversation with our clinic assistant. She will find out from you what you are hoping to talk about with the psychologist, and if you have a preference for a male or female psychologist. She will also find out when you are available to come in for an appointment. Based on this initial conversation you will be paired with a psychologist. If you have a specific preference on who you would like to meet with, we will do our best to accommodate your wishes.